Tuesday, July 1, 2014

This Hot Weather Calls For A Cool Date.

Due to this hot weather I thought it would be fitting to cool off with my Date-sty smoothy. I will also post the whole30 certified version as well for whoever is doing the program with me. I want to start off by saying I used to despise dates. They did not look appetizing to me in any way so I would stay clear from them when my mother would bring them home. A couple years ago as my taste palate started to develop I decided to try one and this time I fell in love. Not to mention these delicious fruits are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber too. Some health specialists have even stated that eating one day per day is necessary for a balanced and healthy diet. Also it is said that the many benefits of dates have made them one of the best ingredients for muscle development (Fellas did you read that...I'll put that part in bold for you). All around the world, people have started the holy month of Ramadan in which they fast from sunrise to sunset. During this time, people break their fast by eating dates to help avoid overeating food after their fast is finished. This super fruit has many health benefits to it which makes it the perfect candidate to use on any hot day. 



Ingredients: 
-5/6 small dates (or 4 large dates...don't forget to remove the pits!)
-Half A Banana 
-8oz. Almond milk (I typically use unsweetened almond milk)
-1 Tsp. Whole Flaxseed (Optional)
-1 Tsp. Chia Seeds (Optional)
-1/4 Cup of Ice
*Note: You can also add whatever protein powder you use

Whole30 Version: 
-5/6 small dates (or 4 large dates...again don't forget to remove the pits!)
Half a banana (Depending on the size I sometimes add a whole if it's small)
-3/4 Cup Light Coconut Milk (I get mine canned from Trader joes) 
-1/4 Cup Water 
-1 Tsp. Whole Flaxseed (Optional)

-1 Tsp. Chia Seeds (Optional)
-1/2 Cup Ice 

Directions:
This should be pretty simple... just blend and Enjoy this yummy treat on a warm day.




3 comments: